Recipe by Our Best Bites
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 (15oz) cans white beans (great northern or white or cannellini)
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cubed (about 3-4 normal sized chicken breasts)
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (3.5oz) can green chilies
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 (32 oz.) box chicken broth
1 lime juiced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Toppings: sour cream, chopped cilantro,
shredded Mexican cheeses, avocado,
tortilla chips, lime wedges, tomatoes.
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until translucent.
2. While the onions are cooking, drain the beans and rinse with cold water; set aside. Sprinkle the chopped chicken with a little salt and pepper and add to pot. Add the garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until there's no more visible pink on the chicken.
3. Add green chilies along with all of the juices in the can. Add the beans, cumin, oregano, coriander, salt, and a few turns of freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine and then add chicken broth.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the juice from lime and 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. Add salt & pepper to taste.
5. Ladle into bowls and top as desired.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
After cooking chicken transfer to slow cooker and add remaining ingredients except for beans, cilantro, and lime juice. Cook on high for 3 hours, adding lime juice, cilantro, and beans the last 30 minutes of cooking time.