Skip to main content

Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup

You know that time when you went to Costco and....  Need I say more?  Don't you always buy something you didn't intend to buy when you go there?  Those darn samples, they get me every time!  So there was this time I went to that accursed place that I both love and hate, and I ended up buying a huge package of fresh cheese tortellini.  The package was so big they had to split it into two packages.  Oh America... 
Anyway, I had to come up with a great idea for this pasta, because of course I bought it impulsively with no plan whatsoever besides, "this is good.  must eat again."  (Sometimes when I eat delicious food, it takes over brain function and I sound a little bit like a caveman...)  Everyone knows that when you need a good idea, you go to the World of Good Ideas Only (aka Pinterest), where anything you try will always turn out (I realize it's hard to sense sarcasm through text, but I'm counting on your common sense to know when I'm being facetious).  To my delight, I found a recipe for tortellini.  Did I say "a recipe"?  I'm sorry, I meant to say "a million recipes" for tortellini.  Ugh.  I hate decisions.  But alas, a decision-making situation was before me and I pulled up my...socks?...and decided on a soup this time.  The recipe was good, but along the way I made changes to suit my taste and looks.  I mean the looks of the soup.  This soup definitely didn't improve my looks. I'm sure it'll be different for you though...

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 white or yellow onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 3 cups water
  • 28 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs tomato paste (optional)
  • Two 15 oz cans cannelini beans (aka white kidney beans) drained, rinsed
  •  2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 9 oz cheese tortellini
  • 4 cups spinach
DIRECTIONS
  1. If you don't already have cooked chicken, throw a couple of chicken breasts in your pressure cooker, and wait until it's finished before starting on the rest.  If you already have your chicken ready, you may proceed to the next step with a medal of the highest honor :) 
  2. Heat large pot over medium heat, and add olive oil.   
  3. Add onion and garlic and cook until just tender (don't let it burn!).
  4. Add chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, italian seasoning, basil, and salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer and continue simmering for 15 minutes.
  5. Add chicken, tortellini, and spinach.  Let simmer for a few minutes longer (your tortellini, if fresh, should only take 2-3 minutes to cook through).  
  6. Serve topped with extra parmesan on each serving, and maybe a little sprinkle of fresh basil if you care about looks.  I mean the soup again.  
*You can do this without tortellini if you didn't accidentally buy a giant package that needs to be used like I did.  I have also made it non-filled varieties of pasta as well--shells, elbows, etc.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Chip Cookies

You know that elusive, best-ever, chocolate chip cookie recipe?  Yeah I don't know where that is because everyone has a different idea of what the best cookie is.  And that's okay!  Variety is the spice of life.  If you don't love what I love, that's fine! I'll judge and think you're crazy, but we will both survive.  You'll go on loving gross cookies, and I'll go on loving the good stuff.  And we will both, somehow, be happy with that.  If you ever want to try the good stuff, it'll be right here for you.  And so will I.  Maybe.  I'm not as forgiving as these best-ever chocolate chip cookies.... INGREDIENTS: 4 cups all-purpose flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. kosher salt 3 sticks (or 1 1/2 cups) butter, softened 1 cup granulated suger 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed 2 eggs 1 Tbs vanilla extract 1 cup dark chocolate chips 1 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips DIRECTIONS: 1) Preheat oven to 350/375 F.  (My oven coo

Snickers Cake

I just helped with a luncheon for our Stake R.S. conference today. Here are two things we served that were yummy. Snickers Cake 1 chocolate cake mix 1 14 oz bag caramels 1/3 c. milk 1/2 c. butter 1 cup chocolate chips 1/2 c. nuts, chopped 1 c. shortening 1 lb. powdered sugar 1 tsp. vanilla 1 tsp. butter flavoring (you don't necessarily have to use this) 3-4 Tbsp milk 1 c. miniature chocolate chips Mix cake according to package directions. Pour 1/2 of batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Melt caramels, milk and butter. Pour over baked cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Spread with remaining cake batter. Bake at 250 degrees for 20 minutes. Increase oven to 300 degrees and bake an additional 10 minutes. When cool, prepare frosting; Beat together shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla and butter flavoring. Stir in enough milk to reach desired consistency. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread over cooled cake. Makes 18 servings.

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

            If you read my previous post, you "heard" me drool over this recipe in the middle of getting to another recipe.  Yeah, when I mentioned pumpkin it made me think of this coffee cake again, and I couldn't help the dribble of drool that escaped out of the corner of my mouth.  Sorry for the details there...                                         Anyway, this is a great use for any pumpkin puree you have, whether it's opened already or not.  It's seriously good.  My daughter even made the semi-blasphemous statement that we should probably just replace pumpkin pie with this cake at thanksgiving this year!  That's going pretty far of course, because you know....TRADITION! TRADITION! (Fiddler on the Roof anyone?). But she's right that it is that good.        You should give it a shot.  If you don't replace generations-old traditions with it, that's okay, but you should consider making it a tradition to have this coffee cake at some point every